When you first sign up for Birch, we ask you to set a few preferences. Although we love to get to know each and every one of our users, we actually do this to personalize how we calculate rewards throughout the app and recommend new cards.
So how does it work?
You may or may not know this already, but the dollar value of miles and points changes depending on many difference factors. The two most impactful things that change these values are the rewards you actually want to redeem for (flights, hotels, gift cards, etc) and the city from which you fly out of.
We ask for your preferred airport and allow you to choose your reward preferences. When you change these two fields, the reward values (how we calculate missed and earned rewards) update as well.
Example: Let's say you have a Delta SkyMiles Gold Credit Card. When you redeem your SkyMiles in the reward marketplace the value changes based on what you redeem for. Flights are redeemed at 1.15 cents/mile whereas gift cards are redeemed at 0.45 cents/mile. That means, if you had 100 miles, they would be worth $1.15 towards a Delta Air ticket, yet only $0.45 cents towards a gift card. That's a huge difference. If you were to change your reward preferences from flights to hotels, we would calculate your reward values based on these new updates.
Fields that impact reward values
- Preferred Airport: We support reward values for the top 50 major airports
- Reward Interests: Tell us the rewards you'd like to earn, these change the value of rewards
Fields that update card recommendations
We search through hundreds of cards and recommend ones that we think are best based on the rewards you could be earning with these cards. You can change a few settings to make these recommendations even more personalized.
- Credit score: Will only show cards within the range of your credit score
- Cards with annual fee: Choose if you want to see cards with annual fees
- Cards with foreign transaction fees: Choose if you want to see cards with foreign transaction fees
- Reward interests: Tell us the rewards you'd like to earn, we do the rest
That's about it! If you have any questions just ask one of the Birchers!